- Pay workers a living wage that enables them to support their families without relying on federal assistance or charity
- Provide earned sick time, and
- Provide health insurance coverage for workers and their families.
Healthy and Safe Workplace
- Implement policies that allow each worker to work at a speed that does not inflict injury. This could include:
- Setting the line speed at a pace that does not inflict damage on workers;
- Providing regular breaks to allow muscles to rest
- Allowing workers to rotate jobs to work different muscles
- Providing sufficient bathroom breaks
- Ensuring staffing levels are high enough so that someone can stand in for workers when they need breaks to use the restroom or to recover
- Training workers on best practices to avoid injuries
- Ensuring equipment is properly maintained (e.g., sharpened knives)
- Make sure workers can report incidents without fear of reprisal, and
- Provide appropriate medical care when workers are injured.
Worker voice and empowerment
- Ensure workers have regular opportunities to talk freely with managers and supervisors;
- Make sure workers can report problems and speak freely without fear of being penalized or fired, and
- Establish a code of conduct that only punishes behavior that is illegal or dangerous, and provide workers a written copy of the discipline system policies.